With my currently overwhelming study schedule my mind needed a serious break so I started reading some of my favorite news sites (TIME, the washington post, the new york times, cnn.com, msnbc.....) and I stumbled across an article in Newsweek about a study of about 100 white families with children age 5 to 7. Going into detail would take forever, but the researcher basically found that despite watching positive videos about families of other races they still viewed black people as slightly inferior to them. Those families who talked openly about interracial friendships resulted in children who felt more positively about people of other races in the end.
Point is, its one thing for parents to just say "we're all equal" or "treat everyone the same". Its something completely different to say "its ok to play with the black children in your class" or "black families are just like ours"
We're in the age of change, we have a black President, and all that other good stuff, but racism still exists. And right or wrong, I can kind of understand how some racists can defend their beliefs. When you grow up in a world where you are taught a certain, and you've spent your life practicing that thing, then its hard to break that mold. If I see a little white girl cutting of a little black girl's fake ponytail, I would just blame the parents.
BUT... black people sometimes fall into the same category. When one 13-year-old black girl tells the other that she's "acting like a white girl" or that she's not black enough, you're doing the same thing. Yea, black people can use the slavery thing, but were you ever a slave? NO. We're your parents slaves? NO. Were your grandparents slaves? NOPE. So I'm really sick of all the "white people are evil, they were our slave masters"
That mess is getting SO old, and I'm sick of hearing about it. So don't get mad if you hear a white girl say "my parents would be upset if I brought home a black guy" because you know damn well if your a black male and you brought home a white girl all hell would break loose. I'm just sayin...
No comments:
Post a Comment