I don't know how I feel about this Halloween thing. Initially I wanted to celebrate becuase I've only ever observed how much fun it could be.
When I was younger I wasn't allowed to go trick-or-treating in with my friends or in other neighborhoods. We went with the family, no more than 2-3 blocks, then we came home by 8 and turned our porch lights off so kids wouldn't ring the door bell. AND, I hate candy, so the pile would sit there for months and months wasted. So I never really got excited about it.
But once you're older, Halloween has a completely different meaning. Its an excuse for girls to dress up in slutty costumes and party, and no one can really say anything to them. "I can dress up, IT'S HALLOWEEN!" Ever since I moved out of my parents' house I haven't participated in this a single time. It always seemed fun. My friends talked about how much fun they had. So this year I decided to maybe consider taking part. BUT the whole costume thing was way too overwhelming for me.
I wanted to be a Disney princess (but apparently that's too childish), I tried on a pirate costume, an inmate costume, a jungle princess costume, a firefighter costume.... all of which looked ridiculous.
Do people actually do this?
Not only that, but who is going to pay $200 for a costume made of itchy synthetic fabric, to be a fairy for ONE NIGHT. I'd rather buy a pair of boots.. (specifically the Matisse "Montgomery" boot)
The most surprising thing is that despite the recession, the halloween industry is booming, actually now higher than previous years.
Really, America? We're all going broke and THIS is what we choose to spend our money on? And then we wonder why the rest of the world looks at us the way that they do. It's because we're idiots. We're obese, money wasting idiots. We're fatter than any other country in the world. We waste more money and resources than any other country in the world. And Halloween does nothing to help that. Therefore, as of now, I am choosing not to take in such foolishness.
No comments:
Post a Comment