Search This Blog

Tuesday, November 17, 2009

I've thought a lot about it, and I'm considering taking the plunge into to world of..... chemical relaxers *dun dun dun*

Yea, I never thought this day would come either. I get so many compliments on my hair all the time, and yes its flattering, but really its a pain in the ass, and for a number of reasons.

1. I have a ton of hair. Its very thick and full, and although most people say thats a wonderful thing, its gets on my nerves. Its so heavy... sometimes my necks hurts from the added weight on my head (just kidding)

2. It grows like weeds. I guess its nice that my hair generally grows very quickly, but at the same time, that just contributes to the weight. Which leads me to number 3...

3. I am ADDICTED to haircuts. I've been doing really well the past few months because certain people have expressed that they would rather I have long hair, so I've been trying hard not to cut it. But because its so thick, I am constantly tempted to cut it to make it more manageable

4. I hate the idea of chemicals, but having natural hair makes me use a lot of heat to keep it straight (its naturally curly and rather frizzy). HEAT= damage. HEAT= time, which i do not have.

5. I DON'T HAVE TIME FOR THIS MESS! the amount of time i spend on my hair is ridiculous. I wash, blow dry, and straighten twice every week and it literally takes hours. Hours that I don't always have.

So.... i'm really leaning towards this relaxer thing. What my stylist has been telling me for the past couple years is that it's not necessary but I could do it if I wanted to.

PROS: it would cut my styling time in half, I wouldn't cut my hair as often
CONS: its possible my hair would be flat and lifeless, I hate the greasiness and chemicals, my curls would be nonexistent (doesn't matter because I don't wear them anyway)

I can't really decide what to do.


ps. I'm not a hair relaxer virgin. I got one when I was 8 or 9. My grandmum did it and it ruined my hair so I left it alone until about 8th grade I think it was. After that I got them once or twice a year, which was enough for maintenance. Then, about 2 and a half years ago, I completely stopped and grew all my hair out natural and cut out all the processed hair little by little and now I'm 100% natural (almost a year now)

1 comment:

  1. wow u got curls......you should let it show...would look nice, but I for one am against relaxers, but generally it does make hair more manageable and as you mentioned, less time for hair, more time for yourself. Hope u make the right decision

    ReplyDelete